Skip to main content

Absolutely Stacked


We all know that we’re slowing down as we’re getting older but as someone who took up golf again in their 40’s I already knew I wasn’t swinging as quickly as I could.
Of course many accept this decline in speed and resultant loss in yardage in their stride but I’m not as accepting, I’m competitive, I always want to see improvement, even if it’s slow.

If you’ve read the main post on the site you’ll know that I caused my own problem with the driver at the backend of last season in many ways. However, I’m prepared to put in the work to get back what I’ve lost and add more speed to my arsenal. Afterall, speed training, which is what I’m undertaking, is essentially about raising your ceiling so that you can cruise at a higher level on course.

In order to achieve this I’ve invested in The Stack System. Now, I didn’t do this on a whim, when I’m buying something, I make sure it’s going to perform how I’d expect and the results others have seen convinced me this is the route to take.

The thing that made sense to me about The Stack System was that I wasn’t just buying a weighted swing stick (not that there’s anything wrong with that method), it was the accompanying app that really piqued my interest. 

The app makes the whole process so easy, so much so I’d almost go as far as saying it’s foolproof. It guides you through the processes involved, with videos from Dr Sasho Mackenzie explaining the reasoning behind the various swings you’ll be conducting. There’s also a pre routine workout that takes 15 minutes to complete that I know has helped free me up and increased my mobility already.

I've even done the workout on days I’m not stacking, which goes to show I’m invested…

In terms of my radar I’ve gone for the Swing Caddie SC200+ as I got one second hand off eBay for half the price of a new one. The bonus here is that the app picks up the radar’s speech as it tells me my swing speeds, meaning I don’t have to manually enter them.

I’m not sure how the SC200+ compares to the PRGR in terms of accuracy but it’s all relative at the end of the day, as it’s what I’ll always use. Furthermore, I set it up on the TopTracer range I got to and it was only a yard or two out so I’m not worried and know there’s always going to be some small inaccuracies with these cheaper radars, afterall I don’t have 20k or so for a proper launch monitor.

Baseline

My first session with the stack was eye opening, that’s for sure. I knew I wasn’t particularly fast when compared with a lot of people out there but that just means I have plenty of room for improvement. However, what I wasn’t ready for is just how slow I was/am with my eSpeed at 84mph come the end of the session, which gives me a potential of 232 yards.

Why was I so shocked though? After all, my on course performance is inline with this, in fact, if anything Stack was showing potential I have but can’t extract on course.

For those unaware I’m a 14.6 handicapper, having dropped 10 shots from 24.8 in a year. I use Arccos to track my on-course data (yes I’m a massive nerd, but that’s why you’re here, surely?) and as you can see driving is the worst facet of my game and it’s not even close. Furthermore, my lack of distance has a knock-on effect to my approach stats, so it’s obvious if I improve off the tee it’s going to have an all round impact.

Now, while I was immediately disappointed at my low speed in the baseline, I quickly pushed that aside and focused on the positives. This is going to sound weird but after that session I actually felt faster, probably a placebo I thought but, I played the next day and I was already consistently longer than I had been in weeks/months, even into a 30mph+ headwind.

Foundation

The few days passed by that the app recommends as rest and I was ready to actually get into my first session. 3x 8 swing sets with the heaviest weight on first, reducing as we went.

From a mobility point of view I felt great going into that session but I’d woken with a headache that day so I wasn’t expecting great results.

Result

It couldn’t have been further from the truth, as I picked up 8mph in that session alone! So stack works? Well, yes I firmly believe it does but I think that massive gain in the first session was due to a number of factors, not just training with stack. 

Don’t worry, I’ll explain. You’ve already heard about how I think my mobility had improved but what I think the stack immediately did was allow me to organize my swing and hit positions I hadn’t for some time. Some extra rotation and weight shift was clearly responsible for some of those gains.

Furthermore, I’ve since read that it’s well known that people struggle to hit their numbers on the first attempt as we’re not used to swinging and not hitting a ball. The reason being is that your body will naturally try to absorb the impact when a ball is present and when swing training you overcome this.

Anyway, regardless of whether the gain is erroneous I’m pleased with where I am right now, I feel faster and I know my ceiling is way higher than where I am right now.

I’ll see you again after my next foundation session…

Let’s go get those gains!

If you want to join me on the Stack System journey you can get $50 off with at this link: thestacksystem.com (You'll also be gaining me credits to extend my app license)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanging in there...

  Not quite up there with the big ole 97mph that I recorded a few sessions ago but I'm still hanging on in there with the 195g with a 95mph average which equates to 290 yard distance potential. However, once again, perhaps it's not all about that driver equivalent number, rather it's about improving on the other weights too, which is precisely what I did in session 15. There was also a couple of other things to consider for this session too, as I started the day with a migraine, which is never good and when I got to the course, the bay I use was sopping wet, as we've had a lot of rain over the last few days. Anyway, I had my grippier wet weather shoes on so I tried to act like it wasn't going to bother me. Over to the records for the session and the first came with the 65g with the step movement and it was a huge gain on the previous best, which I set in session 12, with a 7mph improvement from 101mph to 107mph. The average has also jumped significantly, with a set

Slow, slow, fast

  We've got two sessions to digest in this post, with my busy life schedule having impeded my progress a little in the early stages of May. Session 21 was the first in a new phase of the full speed spectrum program and I always find that first session puts me a little out of kilter, as you become so used to the routine in each phase. Nonetheless I did post a new record of 98mph on the 135g weight, although that really would be the highlight of that session, with my speed on the 195g pretty sub-par compared to where I had been. In reality I should have listened to my body and moonwalked right out of the session but I ploughed on regardless, which I hope isn't to the detriment of my improvement long term (it won't be). However, it did crystallise my thoughts on rest, which I heeded with session 22, as I waited until I felt like my back and ankle were in a better place. Six days on from session 21 and I was still feeling a little sore to be honest and my back issues had also l

Still more to come...

  Last session in the full speed spectrum program was a bit of a disappointment if I'm being honest, as I was pretty far from my best and should have completed it the following day, rather than after a round of golf. However, what it does prove, in my opinion, is that even when I'm not 'on it' I'm still considerably faster than I used to be and that results in me being able to get it out there that bit further. As you can see in the program summary, my peak eSpeed was set in session 23 at 109mph with a distance potential of 303 yards achieved, whilst my quickest swing also came during that set, with a 110mph and 307 yard potential. A few days later I completed the progress check and once again I wasn't at full tilt but still close to my potential with a 96mph Stack / 105mph eSpeed which equates to 292mph. A couple of things worth noting are that I completed the driver swing during that session with the mini driver, not my actual driver, so there's going to b