Skip to main content

Bringing up the rear

 

It's been a couple of days since my last stack session as I reflect on what has been just over a months worth of speed training. I've put the last two sessions together in this blog, because I'm busy with work and didn't have time to focus on them individually.

And, whilst neither really offered the level of performance I've become accustomed to, I do think that the performance in these sessions broadly speaks to something close to the speed I'm currently gaming, rather than my outright max.

It is altogether frustrating that I didn't break the 100mph barrier come the end of the program too but that just means I have a very achievable short term goal as I move into the next stage of my speed training, which we'll see what I'm given once I complete the progress check.

Now, whilst I've been able to keep my grit score high during the foundation program, my next issue comes with the progress check, as it's asking me to complete that today (two days after my final foundation session). 

However, due to work commitments this won't happen until the 26th which might not be such a bad thing, as I played a lot of golf last week and my body is still recovering. This is almost certainly the reason why I was slow in the last two stack sessions too but you can't dwell on it, I still put the work in..

As part of an update on my on course progress, I'm continuing to see the fruits of the speed training labour and whilst my driving distances aren't yet going to trouble any of the really long hitters, even at our course, I've definitely nudged the needle. This has come with a side effect I hadn't really considered, which is that I'm having to rethink target lines, as I'm finding myself in very different positions on the course, even if my accuracy is also improving as a consequence of the added speed.


As you can see from my last two score cards I'm now starting to creep into the sub 80's on a regular basis, not only due to the extra distance I have in reserve but also because I've been continuing my work on both my mental and strategic game. This is being helped no end by the fact that I have access to DECADE, I'll cover this in its own post soon, as I want to give it the attention it deserves but it's fair to say I'm seeing things through a slightly different lens now.

I also have another handicap update, as whilst the last time I think I posted about this I'd been dropped to 13.0 I have posted a few more cards since, which dropped me to 12.6, 12.0 and now 11.9. 

This is mega progress seeing as I started the year at 14.6 and we haven't even closed out the second month!

There's much more to come though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanging in there...

  Not quite up there with the big ole 97mph that I recorded a few sessions ago but I'm still hanging on in there with the 195g with a 95mph average which equates to 290 yard distance potential. However, once again, perhaps it's not all about that driver equivalent number, rather it's about improving on the other weights too, which is precisely what I did in session 15. There was also a couple of other things to consider for this session too, as I started the day with a migraine, which is never good and when I got to the course, the bay I use was sopping wet, as we've had a lot of rain over the last few days. Anyway, I had my grippier wet weather shoes on so I tried to act like it wasn't going to bother me. Over to the records for the session and the first came with the 65g with the step movement and it was a huge gain on the previous best, which I set in session 12, with a 7mph improvement from 101mph to 107mph. The average has also jumped significantly, with a set ...

The journey so far...

Welcome to my blog, a place that I'll use to collect all of my thoughts and explain my golfing journey. So, let's start at the beginning - I'm Matt and I'm a golfaholic BUT whilst I'm hooked this time around (excuse the pun), the same can't be said for when I played golf in my formative years. And, to that end I believe I picked up my first golf club around the age of 7, when my Dad took the family to the driving range so he could practice his own game. I don't remember much about my golf in between then and my teenage years but I do know that I took lessons when I was around 12 and began playing a little too. The problem was, I liked it but I didn't love it. There were other things in my life that I felt deserved my time, including football and school and so I can't say that I ever really gave it my all. I can also confirm that club technology has improved dramatically in the twenty or so years since I last played, which was late in my teens, as bac...

In the ballpark

  One of the nice features of the stack app is that it understands you need rest between sessions, with a day off between each session scheduled if you want to stay at a 100% grit score (I always aim to stay at 100% as I want to get as many sessions in as possible). Anyway, I digress, the nice feature is that if you do a speed priming session prior to a round it will then move the session down the line by a further two days, giving your body the reprieve it needs. In my case I did just that ahead of a competition round, in order that I could get loose and limber for the round, especially as I was already a little sore from pushing my body over the previous few days. That said, when it came due for my next session I was playing another competition on that day too. However, with the rest I'd had in between I decided to push on with training before heading out onto the course. I wasn't at my absolute quickest with the 195g, albeit only 1mph short on the average, but I made up for ...